Thursday, April 12, 2012

Poached eggs on challah with pecorino and pesto

 "It's only after a bit of breakfast that I'm able to regard the world with that sunny cheeriness which makes a fellow the universal favourite. I'm never much of a lad till I've engulfed an egg or two and a beaker of coffee."
P.G. Woodhouse

With a broken oven and no kitchen counter (alas the wooden one had to be replaced) I have felt rather out of sorts. More than that actually, I feel as though I've left the house with only one shoe on; a touch lost and a little bit befuddled.
Luckily I managed to get one last great breakfast in before my kitchen disappeared into a void, hopefully to reappear shortly. Mumma's hands need to be cookin'!


ease: 4.5/5
prep time: 5mins.
cooking time: 2.5mins.
total: 7.5mins.

taste: 4.5/5. Even the sweet tooth will rejoice.


There's no savoury breakfast dish I would choose over a sweet one; until now.

I love this combination! The sweet buttery challah against the richness of the egg with a salty hit from the cheese all brought together by the herby pesto (I didn't have enough basil for a pistou so I added some pinenuts) - yum!

would I make it again: Yes.


recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/POACHED-EGGS-AND-PARMESAN-CHEESE-OVER-TOASTED-BRIOCHE-WITH-PISTOU-242969

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow this looks devine.

    I know how you feel with no oven. Ive been living without my kitchen and all my equipment, and its killing me!! I feel like ive lost an arm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly don't know how you have lasted this long! Hope you get your arm back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A scrumptious dish and combination!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nearly fainted with desire when I saw that first close-up shot. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this post has left me speechless, inspired, and totally craving that recipe!!!! So happy to have stumbled upon this blog via Pinterest! I look forward to following your work!

    ReplyDelete