Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rose & pistachio nougat


I always stop to smell the roses.

My husband and I, weather permitting, occasionally walk around our neighbourhood to get some fresh air and sunshine. What I love most about these walks (apart from being with my husband, naturally) is the opportunity to smell the dozens of roses growing in people's gardens. There is one house in particular that, with the right breeze, I can smell a block away. The front yard has more roses than blades of grass. The petals beam with every shade of a sunrise and sunset, but to me, the ones that stand out the most, are the blood-red beauties. All operatic in their dramatic shade. Simply breathtaking.

Roses are a triple win for me - they are beautiful to look at, lovely to smell and sublime to eat. I adore rose perfumed foods, they are so heady and intoxicating with their aromatic flavour.

I had excess egg whites (as you do) to use so I searched for a nougat recipe. The minute I found a rose flavoured one my search was over.


ease: 4.5/5.
prep time: 20mins.
cooking time: 3hours setting time.
total: 3 hours & 20mins.


taste: 4/5. As soft and delicate as a floral breeze.

These looked so adorable and sweet and they tasted the same. I used 1tbs and 1tsp rose water rather than rose petals as I wanted the perfume but not the petal. After the saccharine honeyed sweetness the rose came through like a soft whisper and lingered until the crunchy pistachios finished the bite. This nougat wasn't as firm as store bought, the texture was more akin to a fudge which I didn't mind, but I do prefer the chewier kind.

I became addicted to these, and due to their extraordinarily high sugar content, I almost sent myself into a sugar coma. Hubby could only manage half a square at a time.

would I make it again: No - simply because I do not want the sugary temptation - but then again it would make a nice gift...

recipe: Rose petal & pistachio nougat

13 comments:

  1. Lovely. I have never thought of making nougat at home. i know I won't be able to resist the temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! That is a treat I adore!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just discovered your blog - lovely writing and great photography (oh and tempting food too).

    I attempted to make nougat at home a couple of years ago to give as gifts but it was a bit of a disaster as I only have a hand held mixer and this definitely needs a proper bench-top mixer! Your results look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so excited! I finally found some rose water a couple of months ago, and I've been searching for a way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've never consumed any part of a rose (unless you count its pollen being sucked up my nose...), but i'll be darned if this isn't the finest-looking treat i've seen all day. those pistachio jewels are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!nougats, nougats and nougats!...my favorite!wink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely photo! Dreamy, just like your rose and pistachio nougat!
    I've had some rosewater in my pantry for about 6 months now too. And agree, recipes like this are perfect for hostess gifts...or holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooo yum! I've never had rose nougat before, sounds very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try making this nougat. Have been in love with rosewater & pistachio since combining them in a cupcake. These would be dreamy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been a long-time lurker on your blog, but just had to say that this post both looks delicious (mhm, nougat!) and your photography is sooo beautiful. I love just looking at your photos - they inspire me =)

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for such wonderful comments! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is actually a traditional Arab dessert. I remember as a child my father used to buy these by the pound. Thanks for the post, it really took me down memory lane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We currently make pistachio nougats for our online candy shop, but we've always wanted to try making rosewater nougat, and orange blossom nougat. Your post definitely inspires us to do so. The pictures your nougats are beautiful!

    Kettle Confections
    Our candy shop on Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/KettleConfections

    Another online candy shop- http://kettleconfections.bigcartel.com/

    ReplyDelete