Monday, March 15, 2010

Rosewater meringues with pomegranate syrup

Vibrant ruby jewels tumble and fall into a glass bowl with each thump of the rolling pin; their juice splatters my hands, staining them like a Pollock Painting.

To behold the inside of a pomegranate, with its garnet gems clinging to the white membranes like precious stones to rocks makes you feel as if you have unearthed a hidden treasure. Although it has only begun to become popular in the kitchen, it has long been written about in Greek Mythology and early religious texts. A mere four so juicy arils earned Persephone 4 months a year in the Underworld with Hades - she just couldn't resist its temptation.

I love pomegranates in savoury dishes as well as sweet - they not only add wonderful flavour but also visual interest. These meringues looked simple yet stunning and I had to try them.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 5mins.
cooking time: 1 hours (make pomegranate syrup whilst they cook).
total: 1hour & 5mins.

taste: 3.5/5. Nice but lacks oomph.

To be honest, I did doubt the dessert-ness of this dish when I spied that it used Greek yoghurt rather than cream, which in hindsight, I would have substituted. The yoghurt's fresh tanginess subdues the sweetness of the pink meringue and paired with the tartly juicy pomegranate and scented rose, this was more of an afternoon treat rather than an evening delight for me.

I cooked the meringues as directed but they didn't have enough of a marshmallow centre for me so I would suggest cooking them as directed for the 50mins and then turning off the oven to dry them.

I used rose water as I simply love rose and didn't want a diluted version.

recipe: Rosewater meringues with pomegranate syrup

would I make it again: No - My mother loved this but I merely liked it.

5 comments:

  1. pomegranate arils are so lovely! this is a really dainty and delicate dessert...probably completely inappropriate for me, someone who likes to rip into the last course with gusto. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually sounds great, I was wondering I made a site on Pomegranate as well, is pomegranate syrup the same as pomegranate molasses?

    My site is pomegranatenutrition.org if you would like more information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely combination! So refined tasting...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my so lovely..I love both flavors..this would great for a brunch

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete