Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sauteed bananas with cardamom praline sauce


Bananas in pyjamas are coming down the stairs
Bananas in pyjamas are coming down in pairs
Bananas in pyjamas are chasing teddy bears
Cos on Tuesdays they all like to catch them unawares

Can you call a banana sexy? Put the phallic symbolism aside, as a fruit, would you call it sexy? Cherries, figs and peaches would probably be the best contenders for this race if it were based on them being unadorned, in only their original skins.

However, draped in luscious praline with velvet vanilla ice cream and intoxicating exotic cardamom, I think these bananas are tres sexy indeed. These bananas are not in their pyjamas, they are in silk negligees, yummy edible negligees.

I must admit that I was intrigued into giving this recipe a second look due to its simplicity rather than the sum of its parts. Yet when I saw what lovely, reliably delicious ingredients accompanied said bananas, I already had my finger ready to bookmark.

What I love most about Epicurious (apart from being able to read recipes from Bon Appetit and Gourmet which would otherwise cost me $16AUD each to buy way down under in Australia) is that all those who cook the recipe, can write their opinions on everything from how it tastes to what their experiences were with the method. I know everyone's tastebuds are unique, and what pleases some may in all likelihood not please all, but on the whole, when a dish comes only with praises, you can decently expect that your efforts will be rewarded with tasty food. Apart from being able to easily keep in touch with loved ones, finding a multitude of recipes that would have otherwise never entered my kitchen is what I love about the Internet.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 1min.
cooking time: 5mins.
total: 6mins.

taste: 4.5/5. YUM. The sauce is divine - smooth, unctuous and lusciously sweet with the slightest perfumed cardamom and a tang of lime. It envelopes the crispy, soft caramelised bananas and velvety ice cream beautifully. I made the following changes:
  • 1tbs butter to fry two bananas
  • 1/2tsp cardamom (I could have even used a touch more)
  • I halved the bananas but kept the sauce the same has I can always want more sauce (as you can see from the drowning bananas in the picture).
would I make it again: Yes - quick and tasty for minimal effort.

recipe: Sauteed bananas with cardamom praline sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment