Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pumpkin & cinnamon scones


There is something so 'traditional' and homely about a scone.

Having a great grandmother from Liverpool, I grew up eating scones with cream and strawberry jam whenever I visited. Straight from the oven they are divine and ever so comforting. I always loved to tear them in two and watch the steam escape before slathering on the condiments and then deciding which half to eat first.

Whilst I have had the regular white scones and also the raisin scone, I haven't tried anything else. The idea of pumpkin sounded wonderful as it is a vegetable I am none too fond of in its singular form, but baked into something sweet, I will gladly eat it. It is also a great way to get some veggies into my hubby without complaints.



ease: 4.5/5. Keep an eye on your water level when steaming your pumpkin - I almost ended up with smoked pumpkin.
prep time:
35mins - mostly to steam pumpkin.
cooking time: 15mins.
total: 50mins.

taste: 4/5. Three pumpkin-haters thought these were delectable. The pumpkin adds a subtle sweetness whilst the cinnamon is barely noticeable, more a whisper of spice. They were soft and fluffy with a slightly crunchy outer shell and a beautiful shade of golden yellow. We drowned ours with thickened cream and raspberry jam - perfect afternoon tea.

would I make it again: Yes - perhaps with a little nutmeg too.

recipe: Pumpkin & cinnamon scones

3 comments:

  1. I've never had a pumpkin scone before, those look delicious! I don't usually eat scones because they're too plain, but I might try it if there's pumpkin in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - I'm definitely NOT a pumpkin hater. These look fabulous. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin and love the idea of pumpkin scones! Cool photo too.

    ReplyDelete