Friday, March 27, 2009

Pork with fig & merlot sauce


Seasons come and seasons go, and with them also, their bounty of fruits and vegetables.

At the moment it is the fig that I am trying to savour before it disappears until next Autumn. If you could get figs all year round I doubt they would be as enjoyable; having particular seasons for particular produce makes eating more exciting. When I grow tired of eating mangoes, I can sink my teeth into juicy apples. Even more special are those whose availability are short lived, such as figs.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 3mins.
cooking time: 12mins.
total: 15mins.

taste: 2.5/5* I did not have Port at hand and used a Merlot, which I think is the reason Ryan didn't like it so much, he said it needed to be sweeter and less wine-y, the merlot was overpowering, he could barely taste the figs.

would I make it again: Yes - I shall track down a nice Port and try again.

recipe: http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2009/01/pork-loin-with-fig-and-port-sauce.html

3 comments:

  1. An awesome combination of flavors! Your dish is really beautiful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a fantastic way to serve pork!! I love figs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all time favorite dish is figs with port on pork. I use Giada's recipe and I just love it. Of course mine uses black dried mission figs and they just arent as beautiful as your amazing pics!

    ReplyDelete