Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Banana tatin verrines


Today is bizarre. Truly bizarre.

There was rain for a few hours this morning; around lunch I looked out the window to gauge what I should wear - the sky was overcast, windy and had that 'just about to rain' look on its face. I decided on a turtle neck and jeans, one step outside and I was hit by heat -around 27C hot. Not only that but the wind, which I normally love, was acting weirdly. Like it was up to something. It was eerie enough to make me want to head indoors immediately, and after a few random chats I wasn't the only one finding the weather a little duplicitous. Victorians even received text messages from the Victorian police warning of extreme weather conditions, those close to locations where fires are still burning were cautioned to be alert and to prepare to evacuate if necessary.

I re-thought my outdoor laundry plans; as my dishwasher broke last night I thought I would get onto washing the load it flaked on. Being in the kitchen I felt like whipping something up to reward myself for doing some chores - I found a tub of creme fraiche lurking in the back of my fridge and thought this would be a perfect afternoon snack for two.


ease: 5/5.
prep time:
10mins.
cooking time: 15mins to bake topping and caramelise bananas.
total: 25mins.

taste: 3.5/5.
I made a few modifications to the crumble which I have listed below:
  • 3 1/2 tbs plain flour
  • 3tbs oats
  • 1tbs dessicated coconut
  • 1tbs crystallised ginger
The creme fraiche was just that little bit too rich for me - I would have loved this even more with creamy, tangy Greek yoghurt. Otherwise everything else was lovely - I am glad I added coconut and oats as they added more of a textural and flavour contrast, as Ryan doesn't really like ginger so I didn't want that to be the main taste.

would I make it again: No. It was nice but nothing I would spend more than 10mins making in the future.

recipe: http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2008/12/banana-tatin-verrines.html

3 comments:

  1. well it looks pretty freaking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos! I love creme fraiche, I can't imagine the greek yogurt being better but I have to admit to never tasting it.

    Btw, bummer about the dishwasher, hope it gets fixed soon.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete