Monday, February 16, 2009

Haloumi with basil & tomato


A very belated Valentine's day to all - there hasn't been a post for a while as I have been super busy with last minute wedding errands, BBQ's and organising donations for the current Bushfire crisis in Victoria.

The heat wave caused ravaging fires which destroyed over 750 homes and so far has taken 189 lives in Victoria - absolutely devastating falls short of describing what has happened. Ryan and I have done what we can in terms of monetary, clothing and animal supplies for donations. Victoria is not the only state dealing with natural disasters. Although there are around 14 fires still burning other states like Queensland are experiencing extreme floods.
I am a second generation Australian, and what I love the most about this country and the main reason I want to raise my children here is the generosity, kindness and perseverance of the Australian spirit - in times of great strife and sadness Australians do not hesitate to help those in need whilst managing to maintain a positive attitude; we are a tough bunch, us Aussies.

We nibbled throughout the day so dinner was somewhat skipped. At 9:30pm we felt a little hungry so I whipped up something quick and light, and although initially there were protests ('I hate when you cook cheese like it's meat') the plates were licked clean.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 5mins.
cooking time: 4mins to cook haloumi.
total: 9mins.

taste: 4/5. Really lovely and fresh dish with clean classic flavours. I skipped the lemon as I felt the sumac and vinegar would make it quite tangy and acidic as is - I didn't miss it at all. One 250g hunk of haloumi feeds two well.

would I make it again: Yes.

recipe: http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe/haloumi-with-basil-and-tomato

1 comment:

  1. it looks like meat, its cooked like meat but its not meat!

    i like ryans quote, i think you should have his professional critique in each of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete